Thursday, March 3, 2011

Freedom Center

Hello All!

I had the amazing opportunity to go to the Freedom Center last weekend while I was wearing the scarf. I had never known that such a place existed just South of us in Cincinnati. I learned a lot about the history of the United States and slavery that morning. After lunch, I decided to go to their new exhibit called Slavery Today. A major part of this exhibit is about human trafficking. As I walked around and read stories about women today and experiences that they have gone through and where they are now despite what has happened... I noticed that I was holding onto the scarf. This came to my realization as I was walking down the steps to meet with the other students. I looked down and saw that my hands were tightly holding this piece of material that I was wearing.

It made me think about this word Community that we talk about at UD and how I am now in a community with all of you. Although I have not met everyone there is a bond that these scarves have linked us to. I wonder how I can spread this bond to other people as well- my family, friends, co-workers, and residents. How can we help everyone feel a part of something, feel loved?

I am so grateful that I have been a part of this wonderful experience. Thank you.

In Sisterhood and with Love,

Michela

No comments:

Post a Comment