Thursday, February 24, 2011

Connections through a Scarf

On Monday I was supposed to receive the scarf from Kathy Webb. Sadly, she had a meeting and could not make it. She did leave me a letter explaining this and telling me more about herself, which I thought was very nice of her. I retired the previous scarf I was wearing and admired the beautiful colors of the scarf of the sisterhood. Since it was a very rainy day and I did not have an umbrella, I wrapped the scarf around my head and headed to class. At this moment I thought that I must look like someone from Muslim decent and I thought it was kind of ironic that people would see me and probably think I practiced my religion. As people saw me pass me, they looked at me. At this moment I started to think what it would be like to walk in someone else’s shoes. I feel like we could learn a lot about each other if we did that from time to time; it would help us gain tolerance towards one and others.

I wore the scarf around my neck, and around my waist when I was inside. I have never gotten so many compliments on a scarf before. I tried to tell everyone I could about the Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf and felt disappointed if someone complimented me on it and I did not tell them about its purpose. On Tuesday, I saw a fellow member of the sisterhood also wearing a scarf. We instantly connected and talked for a little while. I feel that when I got the scarf I was having the most stressful week ever. Its funny how sometimes things can get so out of control. On Wednesday, I had to pass the scarf to the next member of the Sisterhood, Caryl Nunez. When we meet, we shared our stresses of the week and it made me feel better about my current problems. It made me feel at ease knowing that I’m not the only one that is stressed out under such a big workload. Finally, before saying our goodbyes, we noticed that we both were from Spanish speaking countries, so we started speaking in Spanish. To me, it is always amazing when I find someone who can speak my native language, it always makes me feel more at home.

The scarf was only a scarf, the meaningful part of this process is the connections we make with the women that wear the scarf. By meeting each other to pass the scarf along, we make connections that would have never had happened otherwise. I feel honored to have been part of this beautiful Sisterhood. Thank you fellow sisters for making these beautiful connections!

I hope with all my heart that the connections made through this process only get stronger and more powerful. Best to all of you!

Sincerely,

Yaimarie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment