Friday, March 2, 2012

A Story To Tell....Scarf-Wearer Yaimarie

As I was in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf Reception, I realized that I was the only person my age. This got me thinking of the journey I have been through and the journey ahead. I come from an interesting woman line: my grandmother did not get past the 8th grade, my mother never finished college, my oldest sister dropped out of high school and my other sister got kicked out of high school. Needless to say, I am the woman in my family that has gone the farthest in education at my age.

It is kind of funny to say that me and all my sisters, who are forty and thirty, are all in different paths of our college education at the same time. I have come to realize that I am blessed with my intelligence and willingness to overcome. My mother has always told me to study hard so I do not have to go through what she went through, but seeing her raise me and my sisters with no education inspires me. Every time I have a rough time with school I think of her. I always say that I do things to make my mother cry; that sounds horrible, but let me explain: my mother cries out of happiness every time I make her proud.

Now thinking of the future; I am a sophomore Marketing and Entrepreneurship major at the University of Dayton, a little far away from my hometown in Puerto Rico. I have no idea what I am going to do when I graduate, whether I’m staying in the United States or going back to Puerto Rico. However, I do have set goals for my life. Whatever I end up doing, I promise myself that I am going to be the best at it. I want to find a husband and start a family, I also want six kids. I have two mottos in my life. The first one is “You need to make mistakes to learn from them," and this is what I’m doing right now in college. The second one is “Live in such a way that you will have stories for you grandchildren." This is especially important to me because I am very family oriented, and that is why I want a huge family. I crave that Thanksgiving holiday where we have more than 20 people ranging from babies to old people and everyone is screaming, throwing jokes, bickering, but having a good time. That is the one thing that I miss about being home, so wherever I end up, I want to create my own version of it. And on my last moments, I want people to have to fight over who stands next to me, because that is how many people are there. Also, the other ultimate goal that I have is to change someone’s life. However, I still don’t know how I am doing that yet haha.

For now I don’t know what I’m doing, but I am making it up as I go along. All I know is that I’ve done a decent job at educating myself and taking advantage of the various opportunities that are offered to me at this university. Hopefully in a couple of years I will look back and tell this story to my children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment